Call Us!
804-763-3890

Richmond, VA
Birding Places

Henricus Park/Dutch Gap Conservation Area

Henricus Park/Dutch Gap Conservation Area

Located on a bluff overlooking the James River, the 1611 "Citie of Henricus" was Virginia's second successful, permanent English settlement in America. The Henricus Park Trail is approximately 1.25 miles long and runs beside the reconstructed settlement of Henricus. Each season at the Park provides a different glimpse of wildlife, everything from Spring migrants to year round feathered residents which include Eastern Bluebirds, Great Blue Herons, Bald Eagles, and multiple species of woodpeckers. Summer visitors include Indigo Buntings, Blue Grosebeaks and Prothonotary Warblers. Wildlife is abundant at Henricus year round! For more information and directions please visit Henricus.org.

Hollywood Cemetery

Hollywood Cemetery

The perfect place to see Warblers during Spring Migration! Founded in 1847 by local businessmen in Richmond, VA, Hollywood Cemetery is one of the most fascinating cemeteries in the United States. It is full of history as well as ghostly folklore and is the eternal resting place for U.S. Presidents James Monroe and John Tyler, as well as the only President of the Confederacy, Jefferson Davis. A magnificent 90' high granite pyramid can also be found in the cemetery, built as a monument to some 18,000 Civil War Veterans. With its' panoramic views of the James River, Hollywood Cemetery offers a stroll back in time and is the perfect place for a bird walk. For more information and directions please visit Hollywood Cemetery.

Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens

Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens

A must see for gardeners as well as bird watchers! Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens is on property that was once a Powhatan Native American hunting ground and was also later owned by Patrick Henry. Lewis Ginter purchased the land in 1884 and built what was known as the Lakeside Wheel Club, a popular destination for Richmond bicyclists. Several years after his death in 1897, the property was purchased by his neice, Grace Arents, and was eventually left to the city of Richmond in 1968 to develop into what it is today. For a list of events and directions please visit Lewis Ginter.